The prevalence of acne can vary, but it is estimated that approximately 85% of people experience acne at some point in their lives. The importance of finding the right adult acne treatment lies in the fact that different types and severities of acne require different approaches. What works for one person’s skin type may not work for another, as everyone's skin is unique.
Ahead, we explore tips and recommendations from Charette Cosmetics’ skincare experts, so you can better understand your skin type and find the best over the counter acne treatment for you.
Understanding Your Skin Type and Acne Concerns
Different skin types play a role in acne development and can influence the treatments used.
Treating Acne in Oily Skin
Oily skin is characterized by excessive sebum production, resulting in a shiny appearance and enlarged pores. This skin type is more prone to acne because the excess oil can clog the hair follicles, leading to the formation of pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads.
Managing oily skin often involves regulating oil production through gentle cleansing, exfoliation, and the use of non-comedogenic (non-pore-clogging) products.
Acne Concerns in Dry Skin
Dry skin lacks sufficient moisture and may appear flaky or rough. While dry skin is less prone to acne compared to oily skin, it is not entirely immune. Dryness can lead to an overproduction of sebum as the skin tries to compensate for the lack of moisture. This excess sebum can contribute to clogged pores and the development of acne.
Treating acne in dry skin requires a balance between hydrating the skin and using acne-fighting ingredients that are not overly drying.
Easing Acne In Combination Skin
Combination skin is both oily and dry. Typically, the T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) is oilier, while the cheeks and other areas may be drier. Acne can occur in the oilier regions of combination skin due to increased sebum production, while the drier areas may experience sensitivity or flakiness.
Treating acne in combination skin involves a tailored approach that addresses the different needs of each area.
The Best Way To Treat Acne For Normal Skin
Normal skin is well-balanced, with adequate sebum production and proper moisture levels. Individuals with normal skin tend to have fewer issues with acne compared to other skin types.
Treating acne in normal skin may involve a combination of gentle cleansing, exfoliation, and spot treatments to address occasional breakouts.
Different Types of Acne and Their Causes
Acne can manifest in various forms, each with its own distinct characteristics and underlying causes.
- Open Comedones - This form of acne is often called blackheads because it appears as small, dark spots on the skin's surface. Blackheads form when the hair follicles become clogged with excess oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria causing a black spot to form at the pore’s opening.
- Closed Comedones - Whiteheads are similar to blackheads but have a closed opening, preventing the accumulated debris from reaching the surface. They appear as small, flesh-colored or white bumps on the skin.
- Papules - This is a form of inflammatory acne that causes small, red, raised bumps on the skin. Papules occur when the walls of the hair follicles become inflamed due to the buildup of excess oil and bacteria. Papules are typically tender to the touch.
- Pustules - Pustules are similar to papules but contain pus at their tips. They appear as red bumps with a white or yellow center.
- Nodules - This form of acne causes large, solid, painful bumps that develop deep within the skin that can be hard to treat. They result from severe inflammation that affects the deeper layers of the hair follicles and if left untreated, may lead to scarring.
- Cysts - Cysts are larger, pus-filled, painful lesions that extend deeper into the skin compared to pustules. They are often associated with severe acne and have the potential to cause significant scarring.
What to Look for in an Over-the-Counter Acne Treatment
When it comes to finding the best acne spot treatment, the best facial acne treatment or the best treatment to prevent acne scarring, there are a variety of ingredients to look for in over-the-counter acne products.
- Benzoyl peroxide is a widely used ingredient that helps kill acne-causing bacteria, reduce inflammation, and unclog pores. It is particularly effective against inflammatory acne.
Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid (BHA) that exfoliates the skin and helps unclog pores. It effectively removes dead skin cells, reduces oil production, and can help treat blackheads, whiteheads and inflammatory acne.
Retinoids, such as adapalene, tretinoin, and isotretinoin (available in prescription-strength treatments), are derived from vitamin A and help regulate skin cell turnover, prevent clogged pores, reduce inflammation, and promote the growth of healthier skin.
- Tea tree oil is a natural ingredient with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be effective in treating mild to moderate acne, reducing inflammation, and preventing bacterial growth.
Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) like glycolic acid and lactic acid, are exfoliating agents that help remove dead skin cells and unclog pores. They can improve the overall texture and appearance of the skin and are suitable for mild acne.
- Niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3, possesses anti-inflammatory and sebum-regulating properties. It helps reduce acne-associated redness, control oil production, and improve the skin's barrier function.
Our Top Picks for Acne Treatments
When it comes to top picks for over the counter acne treatments, Charette Cosmetics recommends its Acne Prone Pack because this convenient bundle includes four of our best acne products that work well for all skin types.
Restart + Refresh | Gentle Cleanser | $32.00
- Restart + Refresh Gentle Cleanser contains citrus extracts to cleanse the skin while reducing irritation and lactic acid to improve skin tone and reduce the appearance of pores
- Removes make-up, dirt and impurities to retain your skin’s natural moisture barrier
- Ideal cream cleanser for acne prone and oily skin
Diminish + Clear | Complexion Pads | $32
- Diminish + Clear Complexion Pads contain ingredients that can regulate sebum production (oil), unclog pores and reduce inflammation
- Salicylic, glycolic and lactic acids help exfoliate the skin
- Retinyl palmitate helps promote a clear complexion and evens out skin tone
- Ideal for oily, combination and acne-prone skin
Activate + Tone Antioxidant Mist | $32.00
- With natural extracts like cucumber, rosemary and melon, Activate + Tone Antioxidant Mist helps to improve your skin’s complexion, reduce puffiness and swelling
- Calms the skin with its anti-inflammatory properties
- Cooling mist can be sprayed on your face in the morning and at night after your cleansing routine
Rejuvenate + Reverse | Retinol Serum | $95.50
- Rejuvenate + Reverse Retinol Serum is formulated with an advanced encapsulated retinol that replenishes your skin, improves discoloration and protects against moisture loss
- Retinol helps ease the look of fine lines and wrinkles over time
- Contains allantoin to further soften and soothe the skin
- Ideal for acne-prone skin because of its exfoliating properties
How To Maximize Your Acne Treatment Results
There are other things you can do to improve the effectiveness of your topical acne treatment:
Touching your face can transfer bacteria, oil and dirt from your hands to your skin, so try to avoid touching your face throughout the day.
- Proper application of acne products helps to ensure the best results. Always read the instructions for each product before you use it.
- Cleansing your skin twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, is essential to remove excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells that can clog pores and cause acne.
- Sleeping on clean pillow cases and using clean makeup brushes can help avoid breakouts.
- Drinking plenty of water can help keep your skin hydrated and healthy, which can improve the effectiveness of your acne treatment.
Why Choose Charette Cosmetics For Over The Counter Acne Treatment
Charette Cosmetics brings a whole new approach to the world of cosmetic treatments, including products designed to keep your skin healthy and ease acne. Founded by Paul Charette, a medical aesthetician and cosmetic practitioner, Paul's extensive aesthetic education, unparalleled techniques, and attention to detail are evident in every aspect of Charette Cosmetics.
Our medical-grade skincare products work to protect and treat your skin, revealing the most beautiful version of yourself. For your convenience, we offer Shop Pay and Google Pay. Shop our lineup of products online or connect with us on socials to see amazing skin transformations from real customers.